I recently read an article about finding your ‘voice’ as a blogger and realized that I have a lot to learn about this whole pursuit. In the article, the author made a list of trivia and I am totally going to copy his idea without shame.
When I write these blog posts, am I just keeping a diary? Do I attempt to entertain the (mostly lurking) readers? I need to figure out the answers to these questions.
Here is a laundry list of things I have never thought to mention on my blog…
- My wife and I have been together for 19 years. She’s 33.
- I smoke, but I don’t tell my kids.
- I could never call myself Democrat or Republican because there is no such person who wholly believes everything about just one side. There are so many shades of gray.
- My first and still favorite cast iron skillet was a wedding gift 12 years ago. I estimate that I have cooked in it 3,000 times now.
- That number above would be higher, but another wedding present was a new set of Teflon cookware. I try not to think about what is IN my brain, thanks to slowly eating that Teflon.
- We have a nice stainless steel set now.
- I worry often that civilization as we know it will end soon. This is why I try to learn old “thyme” skillz, yo. I learn to garden because I believe it just might be how I feed myself some day. I learn to can food because Illinois has winter. I yearn to move to a farm but I still need to arrange that.
- I have been through Army Basic Training. I spent 6 years in the national guard. Feels like a past life.
- Brutal honesty: If your vehicle’s headlights are retina-blinding-blue instead of yellowish-white like everyone else, YOU ARE a jackass. (I wonder how many subscribers I just lost.)
- I have never been asked to show my college transcript to get a job. My degree is in “Individual Studies.”
- I use Google Reader to catch up on all the blogs I read, so I rarely notice your blog’s layout, or if it has changed.
- I have unsubscribed from several blogs because they started posting ads.
- I have unsubscribed from MANY blogs because they switched to posting summaries in the RSS feed instead of the whole post. I really can’t click through, it’s too many!
- I have struggled with my religion for a cumulatively far longer span of time than I have actually spent believing that I believed something, completely. I think I need to start my own church.
Now a challenge… I want all 40+ of you to tell me something about yourself.🙂