I mentioned about a month ago that this year I have grown the best beets I have ever grown, by far. That was pretty easy to say, because in other years the greens grew about 6 inches high, if that, and I got almost no size to the roots.
This year, my beet greens are much bigger and healthier looking, thanks to thorough, deep digging, purchased organic fertilizers, proper weeding and thinning and frequent watering. But I’m not growing these beets for their greens…I don’t even enjoy the greens.
I want BEET ROOTS! Wednesday I picked the biggest beet that was out there:
The beet seed was sown on around March 29th. I took this photo 69 days later. The packet claimed that I could harvest these in 55-65 days and even this one isn’t big enough to cook and peel!
I have to face facts now. At some point, if I want to have better luck in the garden, I’m going to have to move it….
I took this photo of my garden at 11 a.m. No part of the garden has yet been touched by the sun this day. 30 or 40 minutes later the far right (west) side starts to get sun, and 90 or more minutes later the back corner finally gets illuminated.
Ultimately, this is my beet problem, and this was my tomato problem until I moved them into the sunlight this year.
I spent many, many hours making that garden be “just right” down there…but now I see that the grass is sunnier on the other side of the yard. Hopefully I will be able to live with the current situation and put off the big move for a long time. Many parts of the garden get 6 or more hours of sunlight.
For now, I’ll let these beets grow for several more days. I’ll add some more “K” fertilizer, which is supposed to help out roots. The longer I leave the beets growing, the more I risk them turning into fibrous, woody roots that are inedible. Hopefully that won’t happen too soon.