Today I thought I should post a picture of where we are with the tree house project. Sorry about the blurry pictures…it was a dark and dreary morning and the camera was setting itself on 1/8th second exposure.
No, you haven’t travelled through time. I took the whole thing apart last night.
Here (both foreground and background by the fence) is the entire tree house. Not as much fun now. :(
My father noticed last weekend that the tree was cracked. Upon closer inspection, it was MAJORLY, HUGELY cracked. Upon looking down into the crack from above, the tree guys told us that it was well on it’s way to being a completely hollow tree. A split-in-half-rotten-hollow tree 45 feet tall only 10 feet from my bedroom and literally INSIDE a play area I was making for my children.
So with much sadness, we decided that we should not attempt to simply cable together the top of the tree and save it. It had to be cut down. But, the plan was, we should save the trunk so the kids can still have the same kind of tree house.
I decided to thunk my crowbar against the trunk last night to listen for just how hollow it was. I hit the tree trunk on the house side. It did sort of thunk, but also kind of squish. The crowbar sank right in. I actually made a hole.
Mushrooms grow on DEAD trees. These grew within the last 7 to 10 days. They stink. Even if I did leave the trunk standing here for the tree house, the whole play area would be covered in this stinky toxic fungus by the end of June.
We’re having it cut down to the ground and hauled away, at great expense! I know, everybody gets paid for their work and it’s going to be a lot of work to haul away the tree. Ugh!
And now I get to redesign the tree house and salvage as much as I can, hopefully without needing to buy a ton more wood.
My boys are taking it pretty hard. :(
MORE PAGES ABOUT THIS TREE HOUSE:
Excellent tree house books: